Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

The Land of the Sicklings

   As I write this it is 9:06 PM on Friday night and I am exhausted. It seems just when I feel like everyone is healthy and happy, BAM! Something comes and knocks us right down.

   First, Craig got a fever on Monday. Because he is a diabetic, fevers last substantially longer for them than they would for other kids his age. He was out of school from Monday- Thursday. Which meant no volunteering for me.

   I honestly love to volunteer. I get to help out and give others some peace and a hand when otherwise they would just be suffering through their project on their own. Tomorrow I get the opportunity to help out an organization that helps my community right back.

   Just a block or two up the road from me is a low income residential area. The organization that I am helping tomorrow is called Attack Poverty. They help out the area by doing a twice a week afterschool program and a one week summer program for the kids. For the adults, they provide GED and ESL classes. They also have a program called Jobs for Life in which they help out of work adults prepare for job placement by helping them with resumes, interviews, etc... It really is a terrific organization. Attack Poverty is teaming up with our local hospital to put on a 5K tomorrow.

   This 5K will raise funds to help the programs in our area. It is going to be a lot of fun...but, the volunteers have to be there at 5:30 AM. So, I will be up bright and early (with the aide of a lot of coffee) helping to set up and run the event.

   But, of course, as I said in the beginning of the post, when I think things are fine, they fall apart. As I finish typing this, Chris comes in a tells me he isn't feeling very well.

   Does it ever end??

No comments:

Post a Comment